This is what Nicole had to say about the incident that happened at the hotel where she works:
‘When working at a Hotel in the Newcastle Area, I had to use the first aid skills I had learned from a session I attended in Sixth form conducted by The International Rescue Corps.
A gentleman came into our restaurant to order some food. Approximately half way through his meal the gentleman began to choke. It became evident that he was in discomfort and I should go over to help deal with this situation.
I approached the family, asking the gentleman if he was okay and if I could help him. He had been coughing trying to dislodge the food himself which was proving unsuccessful. I asked if he would mind me performing back blows. After the fifth attempt the gentleman still hadn’t coughed up the food. I began to perform abdominal thrusts, thankfully, after the third abdominal thrust the gentleman coughed up the food.
This incident could have been much worse if I had not been taught the skills to help him.’